Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Parties and progress


In less than 2 weeks from now I will be back in Civilization. I am super excited, but I must admit that it is mixed with a bit of sadness, as I have been feeling the build up of tension around “the goodbyes” for a couple of weeks here. We have become very much a part of peoples life here, as well as a part of the landscape in and around our village, and everyone keeps telling me how much they will miss us.
Last  friday night the Preschool held a “send off” party for me, and I felt truly blessed and honoured. The teachers and mums decorated one of the classrooms with the school kids coconut leaf crafts, woven mats and balloons, They had speeches of gratitude, speeches of prayer, Primary school head teacher and high school principal spoke, the preschool teachers and mums all got up and sang “I see the moon”,( a song in English and Hebrew that I had taught the kids) in perfect harmony, they garlanded  Carl and I in beautiful fragrant handmade flower lays, they garlanded themselves in flower lays and leafy hip belts and danced a few traditional Rotuman numbers (and dragged me up to join in with them in one of the dances, to their traditional rolling laughter...),  They prepared a delicious dinner (including a “Lovo”- underground oven cooked pig...), they sang me a beautiful farewell song they made up, and drank Kava, Beer and Whiskey under the beautiful full moon light.
The evening ended with me dragging a very drunk friend along the moonlit road home, about an hours journey, allowing me to savour my last full moon in Rotuma, which if I haven't already mentioned, is one of the most beautiful things about here. The moon is so bright, the sky illuminated almost like daylight, the moon has a rainbow-like halo around it, a sight I have never seen anywhere else in the world...
It was such a lovely evening, I felt so honoured and humbled by their efforts and kindness, and felt really happy to have left my mark in their school and their hearts.
I really hope that all the mums volunteering to work this project will be strong enough to keep going with it , at least until next year, when apparently the Fijian ministry of education will be sending a qualified teacher to work there.
And in my final weeks here on the island, I am at last learning how to weave the traditional mats made from dried Pandanas leaves. Maggie, one of the preschool teachers has been coming over on Saturdays to teach me the art, and I am really enjoying it.
The house is looking great! The roof is almost done, and it is really looking and feeling like a house. Carl has started sorting photos to post, so the next instalment will be his.
Just cooked two big octopuses (octopi???) in coconut cream for lunch, so gotta go rest my belly and soul...
Hope all is well on your side of the world, will see (most) of you soon!!!!!
Xxx N

 
All dressed up and ready to go to party! (with uncle Varomue and Aggie who we're living with)

Maggi, one of the preschool teachers in the decorated classroom (note the hebrew on the black board!)


All the preschool teachers and gang!




No comments:

Post a Comment